World Hijab Day - Ft The Blushing Giraffe!

Sunday, January 31, 2016


Today marks a very special day and for those wondering why then the reason is because it is #worldhijabday. If you don’t know what world hijab day is, it is simply a day which spreads awareness of the hijab and why women wear it. It is a chance for others who may not know much about the hijab to gain an insight on Islam and the hijab and also get the chance to try the hijab to see what it feels like.

In my opinion, having a day dedicated to celebrate and mark something like this is amazing because it shows recognition of the hijab and Islam. Not only this, it allows others to learn the truth about Islam and why it is such a beautiful religion as well as the meaning behind the hijab.

World Hijab Day came in to place because of a women named ‘Nazma Khan’. After going through a lot of discrimination because of wearing the hijab she decided to set up a website and it slowly progressed from there. If you want to hear her story, then I will link a video below.



So for this post, I thought it would be nice to ask another blogger about her views on the hijab. She goes by the name of ‘ The Blushing Giraffe’

    The Blushing Giraffe A.K.A. Iqra

I absolutely love reading her blogs! They are mainly beauty related.  Her reviews and posts in general are always so useful and in so much detail. She is definitely one of my favourite bloggers. Be sure to check out her blog after reading this one.

Before I get in with the question & answers, I would just like to quickly thank the gorgeous Iqra for taking time out and answering these questions for me. The answers were truly so beautifully put together and written. 

So without making you wait any longer let’s begin..  

1)   Tell us a little bit about yourself please :)
My name is Iqra, I am a third year psychology student and I work part time as a tutor. I have been beauty blogging for over 2 years now and it’s one of my favourite things to do. I am specifically an ethical beauty blogger, which means I only write about brand which do not fund Israel!

2) When did you start to wear the hijab?
I started wearing the hijab at school when I was in year 5! But I would say that I wore it full time from the age of 14 or 15.

3) What does wearing a hijab mean to you?
Wearing my hijab means everything to me. It not only makes me a visual representative for Islam, but I also am continuously reminded of who I am and what I stand for. I love meeting people, whether its at work or just out and about and seeing the look of surprise on their faces when they see how friendly I am. It’s fun to break stereotypes in a western society!! haha.

4) What is the purpose of wearing the hijab?
I believe the purpose of wearing the hijab is first and foremost because Allah commanded us to, so by wearing it we are completing a command of our creator. I also see it as a form of worship and dawwah at the same time. Of course hijab is also about modesty, not only in the clothes you choose to wear but also the person you are, how you talk to people, how behave and what actions you carry out. Wearing a hijab reminds me of my deen all the time and helps me to have an identity I am proud of, whilst living in a country which has values and morals that are very different to mine! The hijab has many purposes and I am grateful for them all.

5) Do you find it difficult to fit in to the society because you are a hijabi?
No definitely not anymore. There was a time when I was in year 9 where I found it really difficult and a huge part of me wanted to just be like my friends and show my hair. But I got over that pretty quickly because at that age I truly learnt the meaning behind the hijab. You see when I was 9 years old, I started wearing a hijab because I wanted to be just like my mum, grandma and aunties. They were my biggest role models and I wanted to be like them so despite my mum feeling apprehensive about my decision, my parents were happy for me to start. Of course when you’re a teenage you’re hit with peer pressure whether you realise it or not, but once I had educated myself on the purpose of hijab I realised what a beautiful blessing it is and I adapted my style as well, to make it more comfortable for me to wear. Now I walk around with my head held high, not in an arrogant manner but more out of pride because it is such a privilege to be a muslim and

6) For those who are looking in to wearing the hijab or wanted to know more, what advice would you give them?
I would advise you to do it for Allah, everything you do for the sake of Allah, Allah makes it easier for you. Don’t wear it because you’re feeling pressured from family, or for style, do it because you want to please your lord and I promise you it’ll be easier <3 o:p="">

7) Finally, what are your opinions on World Hijab Day?
I love the idea of world hijab day! Especially because of the current climate the media are putting Muslims in, promising positivity and awareness on hijab is essential!


Thank you once again Iqra! It was so nice to read answers from another sister’s perspective. I hope you all enjoyed reading this post as much as I enjoyed putting it together. Don’t forget to go show some love and support to Iqra.


Do leave your comments down below and let me know what you thoughts are or if you have any questions feel free to leave them below too! Can't wait to read the comments.
Lotsa' Love
Fatima 
xox 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Subscribe